Re: Designing RDBMSs?

From: Paul Linehan <linehanp_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:53:31 GMT

"David Cressey" <david_at_dcressey.com> wrote:

> Paul,

> I'm interested in what you are doing.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

> My introduction to relational DBMS was through a product variously called
> VAX/VMS Rdb or Rdb/VMS, or DEC Rdb. since late 1994, it's been Oracle Rdb
> (not to be confused with Oracle RDBMS).

That ties in with the info on this site.

http://www.cvalde.com/IbRoadmap.htm

> There's no question that Interbase was derivative from Rdb, at least in
> terms of some of the concepts, and in terms of the names of some of the
> data structures.

I've looked at some of the textbooks about Oracle, and it would appear that there are similarities - i.e. the use of a timestamping method to ensure that transacations don't get in each others way.

> I know next to nothing about Interbase, but I still know Rdb quite well.
> Maybe I could help you in that regard.

I'm trying desperately to get a high level view of the code in the Interbase/Firebird system.

I would also like to know how you implement a database in C (or C++) - i.e. assume that there are no transactions, no triggers - just the basic core - how would I go about that.

How does one set up an entity whereby one can define the number of tables and fields without recompiling - I just have no sense of how to start and though the people are friendly, I get the impression that there is a small "inner circle" of experts and then just users - I would like to make that transition from user to expert, but I'm the kind of person who likes to have an overview of a system before going in to tackle the nitty gritty - maybe I should change my approach and just try to understand a little at a time and then just put that knowledge together?

Any pointers (no pun intended), tips, books or URLs (I've searched!!!) as to how one would implement an RDBMS appreciated.

I'm off now to trawl through the MySQL and Postgres sites to see if they have any useful documentation.

Thanks again for your interest...

Paul...

--
Paul Linehan

plinehan at yahoo dot com/linehanp at tcd dot ie

I drink to keep body and
soul apart - O. Wilde.

"Mens sana in campari soda" - anon.