Re: Database performance

From: Erik Slotboom <eslotboom_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 22:40:04 -0500

I have also had a big performance problem when trying to identify elements within a range, such as what you are doing. I tried other approaches, such as the BETWEEN statement, but the query performance was still very slow.

If you haven't already tried, run the query with just one of the conditions, either the <= or the > condition. If the speed is much faster, the problem is with the range condition. I did not find an easy way to solve the problem. After consulting with the DBA, we found a query hint (that is included in the SQL) that solved the problem. Unfortunately, I can't remember which hint, but you may want to look through the Oracle documentation.

I really don't understand why you a separate query for every period. But if you use an = condition rather than a range condition, you may be able to eliminate the problem.

"Marcel Braak" <mbraak_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:3bab4b96$0$65655$e4fe514c_at_newszilla.xs4all.nl...
> Hi there,
> >
> I'm using queries like
> SELECT persid FROM planning WHERE persid='name' AND starttime <= '10:00'
AND