request for database bug 'war stories'

From: Sally Jo Cunningham <sallyjo_at_cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Date: 23 Sep 2001 22:29:38 -0700

Hello--

I'm looking for anecdotes describing debugging experiences with database systems. In particular, I want to hear about how you've solved particularly difficult bugs that were a real headache in a real system. The bugs could have occurred in any aspect of a database: problems with the user interface, the SQL, processing efficiency, data model, stored procedures/triggers/constraints, etc. I'm interested in both solved and unsolved bugs.

I'd like to hear about how you solved the problem--did you use any supporting tools, did you have a systematic approach for homing in on the bug, did a solution suddenly come to you out of nowhere? What made this problem particularly memorable? Indeed, was a solution ever found?

A brief, stream of consciousness style response (right now!) would be wonderful, and much better than a carefully worked out story (in a few days). I can then get back to you with further questions if necessary.

I'm collecting these database bug war stories as part of a research project that is examining the types of difficult database problems that database professionals (at all levels) experience. These war stories will be used for analysis only, and no names or other identifying characteristics of your tales will be stated in the final (or any other) report.

Thank you for your help!
Sally Jo Cunningham

Dept. of Computer Science

University of Waikato           phone:  64-7-838-4402
Private Bag 3105                fax:    64-7-838-5095
Hamilton, New Zealand Received on Mon Sep 24 2001 - 07:29:38 CEST

Original text of this message