Re: Normalization ?

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 02:47:07 GMT

> I'd be very interested to hear what other perspectives people have in
> this NG.
> If possible, please CC your replies to me as well as posting to this NG.

Naran,

I wouldn't denormalize "just to denormalize". What I would do is use some design principle to help me put things that might go well in the same table together. If that design principle contradicted what normalization would dictate, so be it.

A specific design principle that has helped me in a lot of these situations is Dimensional Modeling: combining data into fact tables and dimension tables, arranged in a star schema. If all this makes no sense to you, you can check out one of Kimball's books on Data Warehousing. see www.rkimball.com

--
Regards,
    David Cressey