Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:03:02 -0400

Jim Melton wrote in message <9mm9gc$l7m1_at_cui1.lmms.lmco.com>...

>"Sascha Bohnenkamp" <bonito_at_mevis.de> wrote in message
>> well, but with a RDBM you are able to put contraints etc. into your
>> tables to
>> enforce a consistent state of the data. AND this is visible without
>> reading the C++ (or whatever)
>> sources ...
>This is purely subjective. SQL is still programming and is somewhat more
>difficult to debug than "classic" programming languages.

I disagree that constraint declaration is programming. The ISO standard vocabulary requires a program to have both declarations and instructions to satisfy some particular task. A constraint declaration is not a program any more than a conceptual analysis is a program.

Applications are programs. Stored procedures are programs. Triggers are programs.

I understand that ODBMSes require one to program in order to enforce integrity because they generally treat integrity enforcement as nothing more than a sub-task in every other task (or method, if you prefer). Received on Sat Sep 01 2001 - 00:03:02 CEST

Original text of this message