Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Jim Melton <Jim.Melton_at_Technologist.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 06:13:30 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:

> Jim Melton wrote in message <9mm9gc$l7m1_at_cui1.lmms.lmco.com>...
> >
> >"Sascha Bohnenkamp" <bonito_at_mevis.de> wrote in message
> >> well, but with a RDBM you are able to put contraints etc. into your
> >> tables to
> >> enforce a consistent state of the data. AND this is visible without
> >> reading the C++ (or whatever)
> >> sources ...
> >This is purely subjective. SQL is still programming and is somewhat more
> >difficult to debug than "classic" programming languages.
>
> I disagree that constraint declaration is programming. The ISO standard
> vocabulary requires a program to have both declarations and instructions to
> satisfy some particular task. A constraint declaration is not a program any
> more than a conceptual analysis is a program.

Deciding what your constraints will be is analysis. However, expressing these constraints in a way your database can interpret them requires a language. Translating concepts to computer languages is programming (in my book, if not ISO's :-). Since you like to be very precise with your language, I would submit that my definition of "programming" is not contrary to your stated definition of "a program". One is a verb and the other is a noun.

> I understand that ODBMSes require one to program in order to enforce
> integrity because they generally treat integrity enforcement as nothing more
> than a sub-task in every other task (or method, if you prefer).

Well, it depends. If you mean referential integrity, your statement is not universally true. If, on the other hand, you mean constraints such as "a location is expressed as a latitude/longitude pair in decimal degrees where east/north are positive" then yes, ODBMS require programming. And so, I submit, would any other database.

--
Jim Melton, novice guru             | So far as we know, our
e-mail: Jim.Melton_at_Technologist.com | computer has never had