Re: Type-free Circles and Ellipses [T]

From: Topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 19:48:27 GMT

> > I am not sure what you mean here. The engine which impliments
> > it is *also* an attribute in my approach. Example:
> >
> > handle = collection(engine=HP)
> > handle = collection(engine=Sun)
> >
> > (Please don't claim that handles are "OO". They pre-date
> > Simula-67 I beleive.)
>
> Hmmmm ... they seem to associate behavior with a noun (collection),
> and are based on a taxonomy (HP vs Sun).

There is no explicit taxonomy in my example. If you see a taxonomy, it is purely a mental reconstruction. How is what I did different than:

handle = banner(color="green")
handle = banner(color="blue")

One could see this as a taxonomy of colors if they wanted to. How about:

handle = banner(width=3827)
handle = banner(width=4162)

One could also envision a taxonomy of all integers if they wanted.

As far as how you want to label handles, call them whatever you want. They existed before Simula-67, so it would be hard to give OO credit for them.

> Seriously, what do you see is the difference between that and the
> following snippet of Ruby code ...
>
> handle = collection('engine'=>HP)
> handle = collection('engine'=>Sun)

I don't know Ruby. Note that in my pet language, a handle would simply be an integer, name, or associative array. I have no programmer-accessable RAM pointers.

> --
> -- Jim Weirich

-T- Received on Fri Aug 31 2001 - 21:48:27 CEST

Original text of this message