Re: Query optimizer module?

From: James Chapman <Jim.Chapman_at_nospam.elsegundoca.ncr.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:26:44 -0700

"Kai Großjohann" <Kai.Grossjohann_at_CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> wrote in message news:vafn15ljah0.fsf_at_lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de...
> Are there tools out there to allow me to build a query optimizer? My
> idea is that it accepts as input a description of the logical algebra,
> of the physical algebra, of the various equivalence relations, some
> cost factors and selectivity heuristics, and off we go...
>
> Note that I'm _not_ using the relational algebra, so it's important
> for me to be able to use it for a different algebra than just the
> relational one.
>
> Of course, if there is a query optimizer construction kit which
> requires me to do some programming, that's also fine.

You might want to take a look at Opt++.

"Opt++ is a tool for Database Query Optimization that uses the Object-Oriented
features of the C++ programming language to simplify the task of implementing,
extending and modifying an optimizer. It incorporates all the features of of an
extensible optimization framework including specification of a logical algebra,
execution algorithms, logical and physical query processing alternatives, and
selectivity and cost estimation. "
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~navin/research/apg.html Received on Wed Aug 01 2001 - 01:26:44 CEST

Original text of this message