Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:04:58 +0200

Sascha Bohnenkamp wrote:
> > I'm not sure I'd like a design that was changing the underlying data
> > representation on me. Do you routinely change meta-model info from
> > within
> > the application?
>
> routinely no, of course not ;)
>
> but there may be some need for it, creating user-defined objects/table
> for example without stoping/restarting the database.

Hi Sascha,

our db4o engine analyses Java classes during runtime, so if you create new classes, object instances of these classes may very well be stored to a running database engine without restarting it.

Changes to already loaded classes on a running sytem are not possible at this time. The Java VM alone would require you to do some ClassLoader tricks to get this to work. Our engine does not support unloading classes yet but it's an interesting feature to consider.

We do support changes to classes without having to reorganize the database file, so the above feature should be quite easy to implement.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger