Re: 2 million row database from hell! help a newbie in over his head.

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 00:05:23 GMT

Mikito,

> Is there built-in index that would make this query fast? With group by? I
 was
> assuming that the whole data warehousing mumble has been around because
> databases are so index-challenged.

Not my impression, at all. I've read some Kimball, and I've created some data marts (star schemas, actually). And I think that it goes a lot deeper than "index challenged".

It seems to me that the logical structure of data marts, never mind data warehouses, is different from the logical structure of transaction processing systems. As far as modeling goes, I'd say that dimensional modeling is a radical departure from E-R modeling.

Add to that the fact that warehouses are designed to outlast the systems that feed them, and you have some really different challenges than the ones facing operational databases.

> 8.1.7

Maybe I'm just dense, but I still don't get what you mean by "program your own indexes". Was "8.1.7" supposed to explain it to me?

--
Regards,
    David Cressey