Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:26:24 +0200

Lee Fesperman wrote:
> In all the OO systems I've seen, everything is built with single direction
 linking -
> (pointers, references, composite objects). Inheritance is even worse; it
 is purely
> hierachical.

Although I agree with you in principal, I would like to point out that navigating from attributes to parents is possible in object databases by using queries.

I would not see *multiple* inheritance as purely hierarchical, by the way. For those of us that store Java objects and their attributes, it would be beautiful if the "interface" concept would allow declaring common member fields.

Does anyone have any pointers to a programming language that supports navigating from child to parent? Reference count garbage collectors could easily support this feature, but as I understand they are not state-of-the-art.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger