Re: [T] S.O.D.A. --> Relational GUI

From: Mikito Harakiri <nospam_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 02:59:56 GMT

In article <MPG.15c514bc31f88906989bfe_at_news.earthlink.net>, Topmind says...

>> >It would be easy to isolate them all.
>> >(How easy it would be to edit them all
>> >depends on the repetition-factoring skills of the
>> >original programmer, procedural or relational. A
>> >decent procedural programmer would put most of the
>> >country-list stuff in a shared subroutine, Thus,
>> >changing the default should be in one place ideally.)
>>
>> No, the relational approach doesn't require any code refactoring/code
>> organizational skills from the programmer.
>
>No wonder you like OO. You have been around crappy procedural/relational
>programmers and don't know any better.

I meant something completely different. In traditional GUI programming (object or procedural) there is a discipline that programmer have to follow. So I read your statement as "if we put country-list stuff in a shared subroutine then the maintenance would be easy". I'm replying that, ideally, relational approach wouldn't care at all. Where the employee "Smith" is stored -- who cares, as long as we easily find him. Same must apply to general programming. Where did my predecessor put tax increment? Who cares again, as long as we can find it by quering.

That is what relational is supposed to be. Now, I don't quite understand what you mean by procedural/relational, but as you have Peter on your side, maybe he'll be so kind to explain. Received on Mon Jul 23 2001 - 04:59:56 CEST

Original text of this message