Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: 22 Jul 2001 15:39:10 -0700

> > >Implementations differ among object database systems.
> > >Well-designed systems do not expose OIDs.
> >
> > If OIDs provide the equivalent of logical identity and the system does not
> > expose the OID, how do users differentiate among objects with the same
> > value?
>
> if(object1 == object2){
> }

If the OID (or some other pointer) is not visible to the user, how could the test ever fail when the object values are the same?

> > >With which product have you been experimenting?
> >
> > Please respond to the question I posed above. I have asked it before.
>
> I have answered it before.

No, you haven't. You have made fatuous, false statements that your product does not expose OID's to users when your own example above demonstrates that it does!

> Again:
> Which object databases have you been experimenting with and when? You
> provide us with so many false statements

You, Carl, are the one who makes false statements. I have identified scores of them, and I have explained how the statements are false. You cannot point to a single false statement I have made and explain why it is false! How is that for a challenge?

Until you can do so, please stop harassing me with these wild accusations.

> > >How does your "mapping objects to columns" (domains) approach take care
 of
> > >object identity?
> >
> > Logically and correctly -- by using candidate keys.
>
> How would those keys be represented in objects?

Some object variables/values provide identity for other object variables by identifying tuples. However, once we have established the identity of an object variable, we do not need to internally represent the identity.

Your question equates to: How does Java represent variable names in objects?

> Please give an example.
>
> I have the following class:
> class Person{
> String firstName;
> String lastName;
> }
>
> How would your "mapping objects to columns" approach tell one "Bob Badour"
> apart from the other?

Given your design above, how would your users tell one "Bob Badour" apart from another? Received on Mon Jul 23 2001 - 00:39:10 CEST

Original text of this message