Re: db design for measurement data?

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:25:13 GMT

Datawarehouses are rarely updated in real time. The lag gives you time to do bulk loads of data, to clean the data if necessary. to calculate any desired summaries, and to rebuild the indexes. Rebuilding the indexes on the fact table would be a burden with a new row every second all day long. I don't know what the queries will look like, although since you can't use any summary information I'd guess they're pretty specialized. As the amount of data grows ever larger, you'll need some way to partition it or the queries will run ever slower.

Van