Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:13:01 -0400

>> >How is generating a key better than the ODBMS equivalent of a
>> >system-generated Oid?
>>
>> The non-relational ODBMS always creates the OID and requires one to use
 the
>> OID
>
>Implementations differ among object database systems.
>Well-designed systems do not expose OIDs.

If OIDs provide the equivalent of logical identity and the system does not expose the OID, how do users differentiate among objects with the same value?

>With which product have you been experimenting?

Please respond to the question I posed above. I have asked it before. You have always ignored it because its answer obviates your fatuous claim that your product does not expose OIDs to users.

>> The OID approach encourages designers to ignore other identifying
>> attributes, which can sometimes lead to disastrous duplication.
>
>How does your "mapping objects to columns" (domains) approach take care of
>object identity?

Logically and correctly -- by using candidate keys. Received on Sun Jul 22 2001 - 06:13:01 CEST

Original text of this message