Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:47:23 -0400

>> It is easy to challenge people who you know lack the financial incentive
>> your company has to expend considerable effort conjuring up "concrete
>> examples".
>>
>> I have spoken directly to the issues themselves. Since you have proved
>> yourself completely incapable of refuting my position, I will leave it at
>> that.
>
>You have invested at least a week of work for the flamewar here.
>What was your motivation?

To start to educate a market so that I can eventually meet my needs. Overcoming ignorant prejudice and misconception has to start somewhere.

Since I have directly addressed all of the issues and you have proved yourself utterly incapably of refuting my position, I choose to ignore your fatuous and specious challenge.

>You have been insulting me with all kinds of swearwords.

I respond to insults with insults. Your point?

>You have been denying that there is a usecase for object databases at all.

Not true. I have repeatedly pointed out that relational databases are object databases, and I have certainly encouraged the use of these object databases for all DBMS usecases.

>You have been calling relational databases "object databases" insisting
 that
>they can store objects.

Only because they are and because they can.

>You have been spreading the lie, that object databases add complexity
>instead of simplifying work.

Not a lie. Non-relational object databases add complexity to the logical interface which eventually leads to more work for users. The lack of physical independence, logical independence, logical identity, an optimizer and declarative integrity guarantee it.

>You have been throwing dirt at our product.

You have been making false claims about your product. If you want to call it a DBMS, expect us to judge it on DBMS standards.

>You have been implying that we fake benchmarks.

You do. You construct straw man benchmarks. Do you even understand that a valid benchmark is specified by an independent body and given to each vendor to implement? Even then, benchmarks do not and cannot address the most important issues in performance.

>What was all this for?

See above.

>What did I do to you personally to provoke this action?

The question is: What did you do to the entire industry I work in? Other than insulting me by putting words in my mouth and contradicting me with them, you did nothing to me personally. Beyond that, my involvement here has not been personal.

I don't even know you. Why would you think I have anything against you on a personal level?

>Now please:
>Give us some proof with a concrete code example.

I've already done that many times. Other than your financial incentive to deny the obvious, I do not know why you continue to ask for things I have already delivered.

>Are you afraid of the challenge?

Nope. I just have no financial incentive to pursue your specious challenge. Since you have already proved yourself utterly incapable of presenting a valid response to the issues I have raised, I will leave things as they are. Received on Wed Jul 18 2001 - 18:47:23 CEST

Original text of this message