Re: A free ODBC client to use with any database.

From: BobJ <bob_at_rjoslyn.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 07:01:40 -0400

Tony (Grin!),
  I fell for it too and downloaded it. It works with D3 but I don't see much value because for practical purposes it is a pure SQL Tool so you lose a lot of MV benefits. Now that Flash Connect is bundled, the one benefit that WinSQL might have had - free - is gone. And if Designer turns out to be as good as it looks then that's the only way to fly with MV, anyway.

   About the Spam part - yes, it is Spam in one sense but it is useful information for people who visit this type of news group. At least had the courtesy to keep it brief on the posting. So I guess this was "new improved" Spam in a fancier can and with a little more flavor. I guess we can't get too upset as long as he quits while he is ahead.

   BobJ
"Tony Gravagno" <gravagno_at_home.net> wrote in message news:3B51640A.DAEDC690_at_home.net...
> I see this inquiry was cross-posted. For those of you who aren't
 familiar, the
> reference to Pick files would lead back to comp.databases.pick.
>
> I don't know if WinSQL works with D3, but it should. In D3, (named to
 reflect
> the 3D nature of the multidimensional data model), you execute a one-time
> command which creates a map so that a file "looks" relational to tools
 that
> expect a SQL-compliant/RDBMS back-end. A single multi-valued record in D3
> (relational guys might call it a "data object" of sorts rather than a
 simple
> record) would appear to those clients as a set of nested relational tables
> which they are used to dealing with. Your D3 applications do not require
 any
> modification to accomodate SQL and the data structures (generally)
 shouldn't
> need modification. There are some cases, as with sub-values, where it is
> prudent to create a flatter structure, more like a native relational
 model, and
> work with that rather than working directly with the live data files. For
> details, see the docs at
> http://www.rainingdata.com/support/documentation/d3sup.html .
>
> I've always wondered what guys like Joe Celko think about the Pick data
 model,
> and especially the SQL hooks. It's come a long way over the last 30
 years,
> most people still don't know how really open it is.
>
> Good luck!
> Tony
>
> Aw crap - After writing all that, I just noticed that the original post
 was
> SPAM. *groan* Oh well, I hope it helps someone anyway.
>

> Mecki Forthmann wrote:
>
> > Does it work with multi-valued and multi-sub-valued Pick files though?
> >
> > Mecki
> >
> > "Petarian" <imranh_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > > Try WinSQL at http://www.indus-soft.com/winsql. It is absolutely FREE
 and
 does
> > > not expire. It is only one file and does not come with any bulky DLLs.
 If
 you