Re: A free ODBC client to use with any database.

From: Tony Gravagno <gravagno_at_home.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:33:37 GMT

I see this inquiry was cross-posted. For those of you who aren't familiar, the reference to Pick files would lead back to comp.databases.pick.

I don't know if WinSQL works with D3, but it should. In D3, (named to reflect the 3D nature of the multidimensional data model), you execute a one-time command which creates a map so that a file "looks" relational to tools that expect a SQL-compliant/RDBMS back-end. A single multi-valued record in D3 (relational guys might call it a "data object" of sorts rather than a simple record) would appear to those clients as a set of nested relational tables which they are used to dealing with. Your D3 applications do not require any modification to accomodate SQL and the data structures (generally) shouldn't need modification. There are some cases, as with sub-values, where it is prudent to create a flatter structure, more like a native relational model, and work with that rather than working directly with the live data files. For details, see the docs at
http://www.rainingdata.com/support/documentation/d3sup.html .

I've always wondered what guys like Joe Celko think about the Pick data model, and especially the SQL hooks. It's come a long way over the last 30 years, most people still don't know how really open it is.

Good luck!
Tony

Aw crap - After writing all that, I just noticed that the original post was SPAM. *groan* Oh well, I hope it helps someone anyway.

Mecki Forthmann wrote:

> Does it work with multi-valued and multi-sub-valued Pick files though?
>
> Mecki
>
> "Petarian" <imranh_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > Try WinSQL at
http://www.indus-soft.com/winsql. It is absolutely FREE and
 does