Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 17:02:38 +0200

Bob Badour wrote:
> I have already explained ad nauseum how
> non-relational OODBs add complexity.

No, you haven't. You have explained how using object oriented languages creates problems with relational databases.

If you take the language as given (which I know you don't) an object database that stores all the concepts that the language provides does not *add* complexity, it simply helps the programmer to persist all the concepts that he uses.

> Every time the DB adds a new interface that is equivalent to a relation or
> is a subset of a relation, it must add new operators, it must expand the
> optimizer, etc. etc. etc. In the end, adding array, set, bag, hash etc.
 adds
> complexity without any compensating benefit and causes considerable harm.

Both of the statements are not true. Object databases internally use abstraction layers to deal with the above.

Adding different Collection interfaces to a relational database needs work to be done because the user needs to write translators for all of the Collection classes *by himself*.

Take a program that uses the above concepts as given. An object database stores all of the concepts immediately, without any necessary work for the programmer.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger