Re: Myltiple surrogate keys in one table!

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:40:37 GMT

Joe,

Ralph Kimball uses the merger of two companies as one reason to use surrogate keys for dimension tables in a warehouse, even when the operational system is getting along just fine with primary keys drawn from the subject matter.

Unless, I'm misreading Kimball, the idea is that, after the merger, the warehoused records from each of the two source companies will have two columns for the "original operational primary key" from each source, with a NULL in the column that doesn't apply, and a single surrogate key for the dimension table.

That way, the warehouse can survive the merger more readily.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey