Re: database design questions....

From: Matthew Mark <matthew.mark_at_edwards.af.mil>
Date: 11 Jul 2001 15:01:12 -0700

"Ed Peddycoart" <ed_at_celticblues.com> wrote in message news:<tkbm3j78luui37_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> I am working on a website which will make use of a MySQL database. I know
> little if anything about the best way to design my db for efficiency, or
> anything else for that matter. The information which I need to put in the
> database will be contact/profile information on various people: Name,
> Address, Phone, Email, Marital Status, Spouse, kids, things like that and a
> field for comments submitted from the various people. Right now I have a
> single table with a record for each item I want to store. Is that an
> acceptable way?
>
> What are some websites which contain some basic information on DB design
> etc. Things such as the best way to structure the db for effiency, searches,
> what do all the terms mean (keys, index etc) etc.
>
> Ed

Don't know about websites for instruction, but this is where I go for my books. bookpool.com for great prices on books. You need to understand what a primary key, foreign key and index is as well as relationships, and when to use these. When you can answer those questions from knowing, you'll be ready to create you own database. I've seen many people, for example, use Access as an Excel spreadsheet. They know nothing about relationships. You must understand the fundamentals about relationships to effectively use a relational database. Received on Thu Jul 12 2001 - 00:01:12 CEST

Original text of this message