Re: Database Design - Request for Comment

From: Matthew Mark <matthew.mark_at_edwards.af.mil>
Date: 11 Jul 2001 14:54:12 -0700

abracad_at_hotmail.com (abracad) wrote in message news:<3b478afe.3519603_at_news.freeserve.net>...
> I am building a searchable online photographic library and have
> produced an initial design for the database structure.
>

> PHOTO ------ PHKW ------- KW
> |

> LOCATION-----LOCPLACE-----PLACES
>
> PHOTO: ID, description, locID
> PHKW: phID, locID
> KW: keyword, ID
> LOCATION: fullLocation, ID
> LOCPLACE: locID, plID
> PLACES: placeName, ID
>
> fullLocation consists of something like: Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
> placeName consists of indvidual place names eg Shinjuku; Tokyo; Japan;
> Europe
>
> The database is to be constructed with Microsoft Access. Additional
> fields e.g. author and date may be added later.
>
> I would be most grateful for any comment / suggestions for
> improvement.
>
> abracad_at_hotmail.com

It's hard to comment since the structure is very important based to how you intend to search for data. What is the relevance or each of the tables. What's the difference between Location, Locplace and places? Besides the relationships, it's very important to have field on which you intend to search, indexed. Also, use picklists or lookup values whenever possible. This way your data will be much more friendly, sortable and searchable. Received on Wed Jul 11 2001 - 23:54:12 CEST

Original text of this message