Re: Finding matching ranges

From: Martin Drautzburg <drautzburg_at_altavista.net>
Date: 08 Jun 2001 23:22:29 +0200

Thank you very much for your reply. It'll take some time to dig into the papaers you point out. Meanwhile ...

I understand that most if not all solutions are only applicable if you build the RDBMS yourself. Are you aware of any method that would work (possibly in a suboptimal way) with just B-trees ?

I believe that in the special case that all ranges are disjoint, a

        select max(l) from table
        where  l < x

would return a single candidate for a match. I would have to compare the upper bound of this range to decide if it really matches or not. But alas (here I get database specific): oracle does a range scan + a sort and does not exploit the fact, that the "l" is the same in both lines

> Note that no one takes 'space filling curves' very seriously,
> except as
> a means to improve clustering or marketing.

Interesting ... Received on Fri Jun 08 2001 - 23:22:29 CEST

Original text of this message