Re: S.O.D.A. database Query API - call for comments

From: Andy Dent <adent_at_ddd.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:17:55 +0800

In article <9crgsr$4ae$07$1_at_news.t-online.com>, "Carl Rosenberger" <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote:

>> A checkpoint. If I, say, have a Shape object with overlap() method, what
>> would OODBMS build?
>
>Creating indices for methods is technically possible.
>
>The ODBMS market is very heterogeneous and I think there are products that
>provide indices for methods.

OOFILE allows you to attach calculation objects to any field. If a field with calculator attached is declared as indexed, then the field will have persistent storage and the calculator is used by the database to update the data each time the record is updated.

If the field isn't declared as indexed, then it doesn't have persistent storage.

--

Andy Dent BSc MACS AACM, Software Developer, A.D. Software, Western Australia
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows