Re: Database column names.

From: (wrong string) Østvik <rolf.ostvik_at_axxessit.no>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:50:47 GMT

On Thu, 10 May 2001 09:37:51 +0100, "Lee Osborne" <osbornelee_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am using MySQL for web database backends. This invariable involves pulling
>the data from the tables and displaying on web browser forms and such like.
>
>I know that I can't use spaces in my column names. What is the standard way
>of naming colums bearing in mind the conversion on the name to a displayable
>format in the web browser eg.
>
>NAMING CONVENTION 1.
>-------------------------------
>
>SQL column:
>
> . your_full_name
>
>On-screen display:
>
> . Your full name
>
>HTML:
>
> . Your full name: <input name="your_full_name" value="$your_full_name">

I may not understand fully what you want but could you when you build your select statement for presentation do:

SELECT your_full_name as "Your full name" from your_table where ....;

This is the syntax i use with PostgreSQL.

I prefer to use _ instead of space if i need it in my table and column names since it is to troublesome to use big letters.

--
Rolf