Re: S.O.D.A. database Query API - call for comments

From: Tobias Brox <tobiasb_at_suptra.org>
Date: 3 May 2001 18:21:56 +0200

In comp.databases Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't that be part of the implementation of the application?

I haven't claimed anything else :-)

My idea is to build a general-purpose module for searching, scoring and indexing, that can be used by applications.

Anyway, my greatest vision is to have a database where objects or references to objects (like URLs) is stored, and to have the possibility for the _end users_ to be able to find just whatever they would want to find. Through some web interface, probably. But think twice - that actually means that my goal is to make some sort of query language that an _end user_ should be able to use to generate indexes, store arbritrary metadata and categorization information and find just any object using just any kind of query!

Ordinary humans think in hierarchical ways, so that's how I think I need to organize such a system. By using keywords that are not truely hierarchical, but rather connected in a network. The users might add keywords on their liking, rate keywords, keyword assignment and objects.

> Rating the importance of different object members (or record columns) for
> the result, would of course be necessary in the query interface.

Indeed.

--
Tobias Brox - freelancer for hire!
Programming, system administration, etc