Re: Learning Question

From: Todd Gillespie <toddg_at_linux127.ma.utexas.edu>
Date: 3 May 2001 20:39:49 GMT

In comp.databases Lee Osborne <osbornelee_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
: and MySQL. I would like to learn how to create good solid data structures
: for any system I produce. I understand the best way to do this is
: normalization and Entity-Relationship modelling? My company is asking me to
: produce some complicated work and I'm struggling!

ER modeling is a process of designing a database schema that elegantly fits your biz process model. Normalization is a set of rules to reduce the complexity/redundancy of said model; which usually reduces bugs and increases performance.

Where are these data structures you are producing? Are you talking about structures in PHP functions, or the database model, or what? I'm at a loss to help you until you more thoroughly define your problem space.

: 1) I'm looking for a good all-round book/s for developing SQL applications
: on the web, covering database modelling, etc. Could anyone recommend any?

On the web:
http://www.arsdigita.com/books/sql/
and
http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/

I strongly recommend both books. Caveat #1: MySQL doesn't implement parts of the SQL used in the first book; you might not be able to use examples directly. Caveat #2: the author has strong opinions on technical subjects. In person he's quite moderate, but when writing he is very direct as to what works and what doesn't.

On dead trees:
Teorey's 'Database Modeling and Design, 3rd Ed' is a good book on modeling.

: 2) What is the best way to document my web applications?

I'll get back to you on that.

: Any information would be very much appreciated,

HTH. Received on Thu May 03 2001 - 22:39:49 CEST

Original text of this message