Re: Cross-application transactions in middleware systems

From: vadim tropashko <vadim_member_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:48:41 GMT

In article <99qqqe$8bn$1_at_geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, Todd Gillespie says...

>I'm afraid your BizTalk contact is full of crap. What you're
>looking for is commonly called TP Monitoring, and it's been
>around since before commercial relational databases (I think).
>In the web world, the name I always hear is 'BEA' when it comes to TP
>Monitors, so that might be your best bet.

I have related question: what degree of isolation a typical TP monitor provides?

As original poster noted, different database vendors take very different approaches to isolations. For example Oracle isolation levels are different from ANSI standart -- Oracle is not using read locks by default, so that Oracle's serializability is slightly weaker than ANSIs, for example. While it is probably possible to ensure consistent isolation level across databases by manual locking, the question is whether TP monitors really care about these subtleties. After all, 2-phase commit is very small portion of TP fuctionality, among terminal management, batch processing and other facilities inherited from cobol era...

In short, transparent gateways might be simpler solutions to the problem (in that case your expenses are no greater than the sum of database licences;-). Received on Wed Mar 28 2001 - 02:48:41 CEST

Original text of this message