Re: Cross-application transactions in middleware systems

From: Todd Gillespie <toddg_at_linux127.ma.utexas.edu>
Date: 27 Mar 2001 19:48:30 GMT

Judith <judith.retief_at_iname.com> wrote:
: When I asked a BizTalk expert the question of whether BizTalk could handle
: cross-application transactions I got a reply "there is not a single
: technology in the whole world that can support that'. This is stupefying, to
: me. What it implies is that, in spite of the unified service platform
: provided by the middleware, the client application still has to know which
: operations are handled by which servers, breaking the whole 'any service
: anywhare in any technology' model that the sollution is supposed to
: delivery.

I'm afraid your BizTalk contact is full of crap. What you're looking for is commonly called TP Monitoring, and it's been around since before commercial relational databases (I think). In the web world, the name I always hear is 'BEA' when it comes to TP Monitors, so that might be your best bet.

You might be in for a whole world of expense, though. These systems are designed to tie together multiple old heterogeneous systems you don't have control over; emphasis on the old - $$$$. Most web pubs (and I assume via your 'newby' title, that you might be one) don't have this problem -- they can start with a bare DB and a fresh schema. So why pay for what you don't need?

And if you're growing disenfranchised with middleware promises - take heart. Their biz model is to package up what is 18months behind the state-of-the-art on the web and then gouge you on support. So you'll have lots of complaints in the future.. Received on Tue Mar 27 2001 - 21:48:30 CEST

Original text of this message