Re: Newbie - restructuring to eliminate many-to-many

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 14:29:59 GMT

> SQL. And there isn't much practical how-to information
> available, other than
> manuals that say "just put an association table in between".

Carlos,

I think there are LOTS of good manuals that show you how to design a relational database. The trick is to find one that has the correct balance between theory and practice. The trade off is different for different people.

Learning how to design and implement a many-to-many relationship is something you really ought to know from both a theoretical and a practical point of view.

The vagaries of user requirements are about data analysis, not database design. Learning how to describe the problem is a separate skill. Believe it or not, some of the best analysts I've ever seen aren't especially good designers.

If you want a slightly theoretical handle on the SQL NULL, I'll post another topic under the "Much Ado about Nothing" thread.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey