Re: Flat-File Vs. Text-File

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:42:10 GMT

In article <AtKqLnAr6Td6EA6W_at_postar.co.uk>,   Bernard Peek <Bernard_at_postar.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <t4%c6.1564$D_.332748_at_news.uswest.net>, Tom Leary
> <tleary1_at_qwest.net> writes
> >Generally, a Flat File contains data in a consistent format that can
 easily
> >be parsed out. A Text File has no such constraints and could be
 anything
> >from the Flat File type data to a Novel. They are not exclusive,
 all Flat
> >Files are Text Files, but not all Text Files can be parsed by data
> >structure.
>
> XML files and schemas are also text files.
>
> A flat-file is a database file containing data for one, and only one,
> table. It's not necessarily ASCII.
>
> --
> Bernard Peek
> Not necessarily speaking for: POSTer Audience Research -- POSTAR Ltd.
> 27 Sale Place, London, W2 1YR. (020 7479-9700)
> Bernard_at_postar.co.uk

Actually I believe that a flat file is any sequentially accessed file. The contents can be text or binary and there are no restrictions on the data sorce.

I heard the term used in the mainframe world more than 15 years ago to describe sequential files. As opposed to a flat file you also had direct access and indexed file structures like ISAM and VSAM.

Today, you probably hear the term most commonly applied to files created to move data between systems or applications, but that doesn't limit the term's meaning.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/