Re: normalization problems

From: Karen Osmond <kosmond_at_softhome.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:30:15 GMT

Vaughan,

Thanks for the reply! I think I will probably go with your suggestion. Data from the database will be displayed on a webpage, so your solution will allow me to have a single page to display information from any category (since the datatypes are included as fields, I can display data in a checkbox very easily if necessary), and the page will not need to be changed as it would if a new category table was introduced.

I'm surprised there's no 'proper' way of doing this - it must be quite a common thing for a database to have subsets like this? (No offence to your solution - it'll be perfect for my application, but it still seems like a workaround).

As for the integer keyfields, my client wants the keyfields to be in the form AAA001, so I've got to do that, sadly. It's a pretty small database anyway in terms of number of records, so hopefully the performance won't be very appreciably affected.

Thanks again!

-Karen. Received on Sat Dec 23 2000 - 20:30:15 CET

Original text of this message