Re: How to represent different types of people

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.win.tue.nl>
Date: 8 Dec 2000 14:26:18 GMT

Kev wrote:

> I have a Person and a Job table, so I can represent managers and
> players no problem. The difficullty comes with the fact that there
> should be a relationship between a Player (represented by the
> Person_Job entity) and a Goal (the relationship being 'Scored').

If you introduce a Manager table and a Player table then you can draw a line between Player en Goal for 'scored'. The drawback is that your database schema then "hard codes" which jobs there are. The alternative is to draw the line between Person and Goal and introduce a special constraint that states that this relationship can only hold for persons that have a goal-scoring-kinda job. :-)

--
  Jan Hidders