Re: MySql vs. Oracle

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:52:57 GMT

No question about it. Without foreign keys, relationships cannot be expressed
in a relational framework. A DBMS may not implement foreign keys explicitly,
in which case the programmer can still use columns as foreign keys, just by including the columns that are implicit foreign keys in the join conditions of the WHERE
clause.

But then, referential integrity checking by the DBMS isn't possible, because the DBMS doesn't know which columns are foreign keys.

And one of Codd's original twelve commandments states that the DBMS must be able to enforce referential integrity.