Re: complex data structures in cells

From: Ruud de Koter <ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 08:56:12 +0200

Hi Tim,

tmac_at_transport.com wrote:

> Is it poor db design to dump complex data structures into cells?

I think it is. In doing so you no longer have a database, but a collection of structures that have no meaning if you don't know how to read them. One of the advantages of using a database should be the independence of the programming environment, i.e. you 'd be able to read and understand the database using several technologies/languages. Persisting data structures as such is just an other way of language lock-in, and makes it impossible to read the data by any other means.

> For example by using FreezeThaw, Data::Dumper, or Storable in perl.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim McIntyre

Regards,

Ruud.

Ruud de Koter                    HP OpenView Software Business Unit
Senior Software Engineer         IT Service Management Operation
Telephone: +31 (20) 514 15 89    Van Diemenstraat 200
Telefax  : +31 (20) 514 15 90    PO Box 831
Telnet   : 547 - 1589            1000 AV  Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Email : ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com
internet: http://www.openview.hp.com/itsm
          http://www.openview.hp.com/assetview
intranet: http://ovweb.bbn.hp.com/itservicemanager