Re: Help Needed!

From: <geoff_miller_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:22:54 GMT

In article <8q26ev$8m5$1_at_plutonium.btinternet.com>,   "Mark Carpenter" <m.s.carpenter_at_btinternet.com> wrote:
> I have created a website using shopfactory software. I receive
 Ecommerce
> orders via Email. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to transfer
 the data
> received from the Email into a data base, so that I can avoid having
> manually transfer the data.
> Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Mark

The usual unhelpful answer -- it depends!

Basically, it depends on the format of the orders. If these are in a standard format, whatever the standard is, then it is possible to write a program to extract the information from the e-mail message and put the information into the database. I've done this twice, for different applications. In effect, you're just using the e-mail message as a form of electronic document interchange (EDI), and the trick to all forms of EDI is standardisation.

Geoff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Sep 20 2000 - 00:22:54 CEST

Original text of this message