Re: Automated Normalization

From: Kyle Lahnakoski <kyle_at_arcavia.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 02:16:41 GMT

I would like to know what type of interface will be used to help the machine do the automated normalization. Will it be a series of questions, a graphic tool or what? I would imagine that just looking at the data would be dangerous. Is there an interface that forces, or at least suggests, a natual normal design?

Robert Marti wrote:

> The article was:
>
> Normalization of relations and PROLOG; S. Ceri and G. Gottlob;
> Communications of the ACM Vol 29, No. 6 (Jun. 1986), Pages 524 - 544.
>
> The Prolog code in the book is horrible, using assert and retract all
> over the place ...
>
> You may want to look at a database textbook, e.g., J.D. Ullmans
> Principles of Database and Knowledge Base Systems Vol. 1, 1988, for the
> theory behind most of the algorithms implemented in the above article.
> Original work on the topic can be found in various issues of ACM
> Transaction on Database Systems (ToDS), e.g. Phil Bernstein's
> Synthesizing 3rd Normal Form Relations from 1976, a ToDS article bei
> Bernstein and Beeri in 1979 or 1980, as well as several decomposition
> algorithms published in 1980/1981 in ToDS by Y.E. Lien, Carlo Zaniolo
> and others.
>
> H.L.J. Steinschuld schrieb in Nachricht
> <8nbuna$8ifp4$1_at_reader4.wxs.nl>...
> >End of the eightiies there was an Article in the CACM wich descibes a
 Prolog
> >implementation of a rmalization algoritm.
> [...]

Kyle Lahnakoski                                  Arcavia Software Ltd.
(416) 892-7784                                 http://www.arcavia.com