Re: Web database access?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_news.hex.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 02:13:56 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when William Dandreta would say:
>I am working on a website for my company and we want part of the wesite to
>be a parts price list. For our internal use I have the parts listed in a
>Paradox table (over 100,000 items). The parts viewer program is designed so
>that as the user types in a part number, the 5 closest matches appear on the
>screen and it is automatically updated for each new character typed. In
>addition, the up and down arrow keys scan through the list so that if you
>hold a key down, you can see the 5 listed parts update on the screen. It is
>very easy and very fast to locate a part.
>
>I would like to have something similar on our website. I am new to web
>programming so I am looking for assistance on how to accomplish this with a
>web based database. Most of the websites I have seen that do similar things
>are slow and don't respone on a character by character basis.
>
>Any suggestions will be appreciated.

This isn't really a database question; it's a question of how you design a client in a web-based client/server system.

What you are asking for is just not compatible with the way HTTP-based applications work.

Doing this in a "web-based" manner is liable to take you deep into the complexity of JavaScript and/or Java, with some maintenance of data on the client.

--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "_at_" "acm.org")
<http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html>