Re: A problem in SQL (a real challenge)

From: Joe Celko <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 2000/05/16

>> [ROWID is] Not standard, but I suppose every vendor supports it. I'm
only familiar with Oracle, however. <<

The vendors with older products that are based on contigious storage of rows may expose this to the users, but the new products use bit vectors (see the Nucleus engien from Sand Technology), hashing (Teradata) or dynamic storage allocation (White Cross, et al).

The guys on ANSI X3H2 used to bitch about the row id stuff they had over beers because it screwed them up so bad.

>> In general I agree, hence the statement "Do note that a table
without a primary key violates 1NF, hence should generally be avoided." in my last reply. Still, heavy performance demands could even make me violate some design-rules. All constraints imposed on a database have an inherent performance penalty. I'm currently working with a database designed by a major IP-telephony vendor with absolutely no constraints. <<

If my data does not have to be right, I can made it run real fast <g>...

--CELKO--
Joe Celko, SQL and Database Consultant

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue May 16 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message