Re: Generate middleware from database design?

From: <barrywilliams333_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/11

If we presume that the question means that the middleware encompasses databases but no
functionality of any sort, then the
interpretation of the question becomes :- "How do we define one single view of a variety of data sources in a heterogeneous situation so that enterprise data integration can be achieved seamlessly and in real-time."

This leads to the question of Data Dictionaries and standards for table-driven data retrieval and integration.

I guess an answer could be obtained by looking at a few commercial products and establishing what kind of language or specification would be appropriate to map on to each product to specify the middle tier.

Sounds interesting so maybe I'll take the time to do something about it.

Barry

In article <p0KR4.8159
$701.126995_at_news4.giganews.com>,
  cbbrowne_at_hex.net wrote:
> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when
 Marc Biemond would say:
> >Is there a general procedure to generate
 middleware from a database design?
> >Is there some mathematics on this subject?
>
> That's a very interesting idea; the problem is
 that, as far as I know,
> there's not a sufficiently standardized
 notation as to provide a
> "language" for DB design.
>
> Yes, there's SQL DDL. That varies sufficiently
 from DBMS to DBMS to
> make it a mite difficult to "set it in stone."
>
> Furthermore, there's enough variation between
 different sorts of
> middleware, between the partisans of:
> a) CORBA
> b) COM
> c) MQSeries and emulations thereof
> d) TP Monitors like Tuxedo/Encina
>
> to make the notion of there being a sort
 of "Database Schema Algebra"
> somewhat questionable.
>
> It's a slick idea, and I'd love to see
 something to this end. But I
> don't think it's there...
> --
> "Motto for a research laboratory: What we work
 on today, others will
> first think of tomorrow." -- Alan Perlis
> cbbrowne_at_hex.net-
 <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/corba.html>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu May 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message