Re: Generate middleware from database design?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_news.hex.net>
Date: 2000/05/09

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Marc Biemond would say:
>Is there a general procedure to generate middleware from a database design?
>Is there some mathematics on this subject?

That's a very interesting idea; the problem is that, as far as I know, there's not a sufficiently standardized notation as to provide a "language" for DB design.

Yes, there's SQL DDL. That varies sufficiently from DBMS to DBMS to make it a mite difficult to "set it in stone."

Furthermore, there's enough variation between different sorts of middleware, between the partisans of:

a) CORBA
b) COM
c) MQSeries and emulations thereof
d) TP Monitors like Tuxedo/Encina

to make the notion of there being a sort of "Database Schema Algebra" somewhat questionable.

It's a slick idea, and I'd love to see something to this end. But I don't think it's there...

--
"Motto for a research laboratory: What we work on today, others will
first think of tomorrow." -- Alan Perlis