Re: Entity Relationship Diagrams - Conceptual - Logical

From: Barry <barrywilliams_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/26

One answer to your question is to check out a book called "Data Model Patterns" by David Hay, which contains a number of generic Data Models. However, as any good Data Model represents a lot of time and hard work and ability, people are reluctant to offer from free.
What kind of application do you want to develop ? In article <38db1df6$0$35284_at_helios.is.co.za>, edbs_at_icon.co.za wrote:
> I have got a programmer to code the interface etc. I just need to
> build the Databse engine

"JUST need to build the Database engine" makes it sound like a trivial task, which it definitely is not. Oracle has a tool called Designer/2000 which corresponds closely to your notion of a CASE tool which generates code. Take a look at "The Oracle Designer/2000 Handbook", by Dorsey and Koletztke. This will show you how to go about planning and designing a system along these lines.
Barry Williams
Principal Consultant
Database Answers
> "Thomas Muller" <ttm_at_nextra.com> wrote:
>
> ><edbs_at_icon.co.za> wrote in message news:38da33e9$0
 $44105_at_hades.is.co.za...
> >[snip]
> >> The reason I want it is because I have no idea how to program but
 I am
> >> aware of the fact that you can use a CASE tool to build the entire
> >> system down to the code level.
> >>
> >> I have an idea of what I want to build, I need to do the ERD and
 then
> >> push it through a CASE tool.

> >Good luck to you. You're gonna need it.

> >--

> >Thomas
>
> South Africa
> EDBS co
> Tel: +27 (11) 764 5936
> Cellular: +27 (083) 456 4030

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Mar 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message