Re: OO: Threat or Menace? (was: Re: OO fans bashing Joins)

From: topmind <topmindNOtoSPAM_at_technologist.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/03/20

In article <sdbkdt9clul86_at_corp.supernews.com>, "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
><topmind_at_technologist.com> wrote in message news:8b454e$h97
 $1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...

>> In article <sd55n5st7f282_at_corp.supernews.com>,
>> "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <jfoster_at_ricochet.net> wrote:

>> > "topmind" <topmindNOtoSPAM_at_technologist.com.invalid> wrote
 in message

 projects?

>> > I see what you mean here. I'm afraid I've been looking at
 this from a
>> > C++ish perspective, in which avoiding overhead for unused
 features is
>> > supposedly a priority. This is also true of the "Object
 Assist" add-in
>> > for VB 4 and 5 (but apparently not 6 =( ). If you don't use
 it, you
 don't
>> > get the overhead.

>> I was thinking more about developer misuse and confusion
 rather than
>> CPU speed.
>
>That's what I keep hearing about all new language features.
 Eventually,
>people learn how and when to use the new features and a set of
 best
>practices finally emerges.

In your dreams. (Freindlier translation: In my opinion this is not the typical course of events.)

>> > Multiple inheritance? This is needed for things C where C
 is both an A
>> > *and* a B, but neither A nor B is an ancestor of the other.
 However,
 this
>> > brings in the whole "Multiple Inheritance: Threat or
 Menace" debate...

>> But why not view those as attributes instead of multiple
 hierarchical
>> taxonomies? (I suspect most OO fans would use some funky
 "pattern"
>> instead of multiple-inheritance anyhow.)
>
>Perhaps your attributes model is itself a funky "pattern"!

Well, let's just pull out the ol' Funk-O-Meter and take a reading.

 <http://www.xenu.net/>
>WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above
 They're coming to
>because my cats have apparently learned to type. take
 me away, ha ha!

-tmind-

  • Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network * The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!