Re: Advice - Database

From: Tore Aursand <tore_at_extend.no>
Date: 2000/02/29

In article <MPG.1325bccfd1507676989688_at_news.cableinet.co.uk>, vassone_at_hotmail.com says...
> I'm in the process of constructing a website for a local charity who
> would like a section were visitors can use a searchable database on name,
> website address etc.. Could anyone advise me what I need to accomplish
> this. My ISP has given me CGI and Unix shell capability, but thats it.

You should check with your ISP what database systems he/they run on the system.

If they haven't installed any database system yet, you should really encourage them to try out MySQL [1], which is a free database system for non-commercial use (if I remember correctly).

[1] http://www.mysql.com/

Together with some nifty Perl scripts, MySQL gives you a very robust solution to what you're looking for.

On the other hand; If your ISP isn't interested in installing a db system, you could still use Perl - or another language - to solve your problem, but you'll probably have to save the data in ordinary text files.

I would be glad to help you with Perl scripts performing the tasks you are looking for, but that means that the ISP hosting your site have MySQL (or another db system) installed.

--
Tore Aursand - tore_at_extend.no - http://www.extend.no/~tore/