Help w/ Normalization?

From: <nkaiser_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/02/16

I'm looking for some approaches to the best design for the following problem:

Previously, I had an INVENTORY table. Basic stuff:

SKU
QUANTITY
DESCRIPTION
PRICE
WEIGHT Now, there's a new twist. An item can have multiple sizes and/or multiple colors and/or any other attribute. But the tricky part is that I need to associate a quantity with each combination.

Let's say we are dealing with T-Shirts. I have 10 total. 3 M green. 4 L blue, and 3 L white.

They are all the same SKU, but with a slightly different extention.

I don't want to have to repeat the INVENTORY.description for each shirt. Because they are exactly the same, just a different size/color, and/or price/weight. FOr example, an XXL could be an additional $5.

I'm sure this is a very common problem. Can someone give me some insight or point me to an article.

Thanks alot.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Feb 16 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message