Re: Big tables

From: Raimundo Lozano <rlozano_at_medicina.ub.es>
Date: 2000/02/16

Hi Heinz,

Heinz Huber wrote:

> I think the most important issue in dealing with largly populated tables
> and also with a big number of joins are indexes. Given good selectivity,
> the right indexes should speed queries (and joins) up big time.

I agree with you about the utility of indexes. But if you have a join between 5 tables, every one with a million of rows, the DBMS have to deal with a number of rows of 100000000... until 30 "0s". I think is a number greater than the number of atoms in the Universe. I know that the optimizer of the DBMS can reduce that number, but do you think that only with right indexes is enough?

Raimundo Lozano Received on Wed Feb 16 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message