Re: Applicants and Subtypes

From: Alan Shein <alanshein_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/02/08

This looks like an elaborately hidden homework assignment, and I'm sorry for saying that if this is legit, but anyway...

One possibility relies primarily on programming rather than design changes. For example, assuming you can track the Inquirer's PK somehow (you'd need to keep track of each person consistently throughout no matter how you do thisone  way is to give each inquiring person the ID number and ask them to use it in future correspondence), you could create an entry in the Apply table with the Inquiry ID should the person actually apply. And so on if the person enrolls, etc...

The trickier part is getting the information out when you're done, as some applicants never inquired, etc. It depends on what reports you'll need.

I haven't given this a lot of thought, but I suspect there are many ways to solve this. I think it may be helpful to work this one out backwards, taking implementation issues into consideration while designing.

If it's not a homework assignment, it should be!