Re: database performance questions

From: Tomasz Tarchala <Tomasz.Tarchala_at_earthling.net.say.no.2.spam>
Date: 2000/02/04

What I gather from your post indicates that you're planning a sort of a database-backed web magazine or something similar. In this case, have a look at http://www.slashcode.org/ -- these folks have done it and made it public, including their database design. Many of your questions will be explicitely answered by example. I'm not saying it's the best approach (because I honestly haven't seen enough to be comfortable deciding), but it definitely works for great many people, including the guys who run Slashdot in the first place.

>So my question(s) is/are :
>(1) Is their a more simple or efficient way to implement such datastructures
>on a relational database ?

Possibly. You could just stick to a stiffer structure, with many possible article parts hardcoded as database fields or links to other tables, and at runtime only show those that aren't empty/null. In general, the more flexible the design, the harder it will be to program and the slower it will run, but OTOH the more possibilities your site will feature.

>(2) Or should I implement a database system on my own ? :-((

??

>(3) Concerning relational databases : Would Oracle 8 be the best decision to
>avoid such performance problems ?

Uh, man, I don't mean to be condescending or anything, but if you have to ask a question like this (which could be worth up to $50k in software), maybe it would be in your best interest to hire a subcontractor to do the job? Slash runs on mySQL and it's blindingly fast (no transactions, though, IIRC).

Tomasz Received on Fri Feb 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message