Re: Bill of materials / Groups in Groups

From: <joe_celko_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/01/27

>> I don't like your orders table here. It only allows for one product
per order. I think it is much more typical to have a line items table so that an order can have different inventory items on it. <<

I agree, but we could set up a business with only one product per order. The one I can think of is heavy equipment -- the shipping and handling is so horrible that it requires a separate set of forms for each part. You don't just pop a steam shovel part in UPS ...

The more typical system would have an OrderDetails table keyed on the order number and a detail line number. What surprises me in these systems is that I can have the same product on diffrent lines and the database will not consolidate them into one line. Not a bad programming problem ...

--CELKO-- Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jan 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message