Bill of materials / Groups in Groups

From: Nelson Asinowski <nasinowski_at_hbe.ca>
Date: 2000/01/07

I need to refresh my memory on the set up of a part list / bill of material
db tables. This will be done in mySQL but I don't need it to be specific to that
db.

The real problem is a list of people and the groups they can be in. I believe it maps
to the BOM problem.

Groups can be in groups.
Groups can belong to more than one group. People can be in more that one group.

Once they are in I need to know how to find out how to answer question like:
Given two people list the groups the are both in. Given two groups list all the people in common or combined.

I would have thought that this would be a easy search but I have spent about 2
hours and I have come up with only one confusing description and about 30 good sites on general DB issues but nothing on BOM.

Nelson
nasinowski_at_hbe.ca Received on Fri Jan 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message